1. Dave made steak for dinner Monday night. Sometimes a woman just needs a good steak.
I’d been craving it for the last few weeks, and it was perfect, covered in a divine marsala sauce. He also made crispy fingerling potatoes and put me in charge of the veg. I made a salad with red leaf lettuce, red onions, grape tomatoes, and black olives, tossed with a little ranch dressing.
2. I started a new book, Looking for Alaska, by John Green. He also wrote The Fault in Our Stars, which I loved.
Green’s characters are almost too interesting to be realistic, but that doesn’t stop me from loving them.
3. The wheels of our recycling bin were broken off two weeks ago. Last weekend, when I went to bring the garbage and recycling outside, the wheels on the bin were magically fixed. Dave keeps telling me to let it go, but I can’t. There could be a creepy garbage do-gooder going around people’s houses and fixing things. Or it could be magic!
4. Yesterday was one of those days. I came home and wanted my mom. So I called her. She was making dinner for my dad and my brother Tyler, and I wished I was there with them instead of home by myself, with Dave gone on an overnight route. Is 26 too old to want your mommy?
5. I could have sulked longer, but instead I made myself a martini, made an avocado and grilled cheese sandwich, and put on Doctor Who (which I finally started watching to my friend Emily’s delight).
This sandwich. Oh, my. Smashed avocado, shredded sharp cheddar and mozzarella, and a layer of pesto on multigrain bread. Amazing.
And steamed broccoli on the side with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
6. I spent the remainder of the night reading and cuddling with the kitties.
Athena has always been a lap cat, but it’s taken four years to turn Artemis into a cuddle bug.
When he put his paw on my hand last night, I almost died of cuteness overload.