Those delicious eggplant burgers I made now have a competitor for tastiness: Eggplant Pomodoro Pasta.
As I mentioned, I don’t cook with eggplant terribly often, but this dish just might change that. Today I settled on this Eggplant Pomodorp Pasta Recipe from Eating Well, adapting it only slightly.
Eggplant Pomodoro Pasta with Anchovies (Serves 6)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 tins rolled anchovies with capers
- Parmesan cheese, grated
Put a pot of water on to boil.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about five minutes.
Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about one minute.
Add tomatoes, olives, vinegar, red wine, capers, pepper, crushed pepper, and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes break down, about 5-7 minutes more.
Stir in anchovies.
Remove from heat.
Spoon sauce over pasta and top with grated Parmesan.
And you all knew I wasn’t just going to put wine in the sauce without drinking some, right?
This cab came from the bottle my mom gave us for our anniversary.