I haven’t seen much of my regular life the last few days. My sister Emily picked me up on her way home from work Wednesday night, and my apartment has been a stranger to me since.

My car was in the shop, so it made sense for me to stay over at my parent’s house Wednesday night to get an early start on flowers the next day. Fortunately, we had a live-in chef: my brother Tyler.

Friday night, he whipped us up an amazing spicy pepper pizza with homemade pizza sauce on a whole wheat crust. We ate our pizza while watching Bill Clinton speak on TV. I went to bed uncharacteristically early so I could get an early start on Thursday.

The cool mornings have made oatmeal a regular in my life again. I made a double batch on the stove that Mom and I split, made with 3/4 cup oats, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup water, a splash of vanilla, and a whole diced apple. Topped with craisins and walnuts. Delish.

On to the main event!

Mom always works on the bride’s bouquet firsts so they get the best and prettiest of the flowers.

I like to work on boutonnieres first.

With my sister Emily’s help, we were done with the boutonnieres in record time and moved on to wrist corsages.

So fast, in fact, that I got to put together a few bouquets myself.

As you can tell from the picture, I did not sleep well the night before. I don’t sleep well in different places. 😦 But working on flowers kept me energized.

The bride’s bouquet.

For added pizzazz, we like to wrap the bouquet stems with pretty ribbon and adorn with pins. These looked like little tuxedos–so fancy!

The fridge was filled to the brim with flowers when we were done. We started at about 8:30pm and finished at about 7:00pm, which left us plenty of time for a beer while my brother worked on dinner again. 🙂

Tostadas with homemade tortillas, breaded eggplant (the best I have ever tasted), salsa verde, and fresh salsa topped with cheddar cheese. So good I had two! My brother is a fantastic cook. It was so nice to have a home-cooked meal that I didn’t have to make. Usually when I don’t feel like cooking, I end up with something pre-made or store bought; this was sooo much better.

I headed home to sleep, and I got to take a jar of feta with me!

Even though it has to sit for another 1 to four weeks, I broke off a piece and it was already amazing. Feta is one of my absolute favorite cheeses.

After eight hours of shut eye, I woke up for more oats.

This one had a mashed banana and a dash of coconut extract, and I topped it with unsweetened shredded coconut and a dollop of peanut butter.

Then it was off to the races again! My mom picked me up and we went to deliver the bouquets to the girls, the boutonnieres to the guys, and waited while the location for the ceremony changed due to rain.

The ceremony was short but beautiful, and my cousin Justin had all of us near-crying (or, in my aunt’s case, sobbing) as he read a poem my grandpa had written for my grandma. After a short reprieve at my grandma’s house, we headed back to the beautiful reception location.


The cake was three flavors: red velvet, mint chocolate chip, and strawberry swirl.


This was the first time I’ve seen a real ice sculpture at a wedding. It looked like glass until I noticed it dripping later on in the night.


They even had a fountain for punch!


Everything was very elegant, but not without a few funky touches.

There was a candy buffet for guests to take home sweet favors.

And a special Packers groom’s cake. You can’t escape the Pack when you live in Green Bay!

Dinner was quite good, very ‘Thanksgiving-ish’ in nature: mashed potatoes, stuffing, sauteed veggies, coleslaw, cranberry relish, and whole wheat rolls.

My cousin Justin and his new wife Sunshine looked absolutely stunning together.

When the music started, another fun event occurred: a photo booth! Everyone had so much fun with this newest wedding trend; it rivaled the dance floor in participation.



Has the weekend really just started?






Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s